Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chianti Cookies, aka Italian Wine Biscuits

This is one of my father's favorite snacks, a hard cookie made with a generous amount of red wine.

I have since researched them online and found all kinds of different recipes (and shapes, for that matter), but I'm going to stick with what I know!

The recipe calls for a cup of red wine, but I have experimented with other liquid options such as fresh squeezed lemon juice for a tart cooler-style cookie, and different spices like ginger and cinnamon.

Also, the shape.  The traditional shape uses a double twist technique, but I do a single twist for two reasons: (1) It's easier; and (2) It makes an "S" shape like my name!  So without further ado, here it is:

Chianti Cookies

4 cups flour
1 TBLS baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup oil
1 cup red wine (Chianti or other sweet red)

Mix together until a dough forms.  Using a teaspoon-size amount of dough, roll into a rope, form a circle and twist it once to give it a “figure-eight” shape. Twist it twice for a more traditional shape.

Brush with egg yolk (optional)

Bake 400 for 18 to 25 minutes until brown.



1 comment: