Thursday, October 24, 2013

Gulai Nangka (Young Jackfruit Curry Stew)

Hi, everyone! It’s me again… today, I’m going to share with you my gulai nangka recipe. This is another favorite dish of mine and my family. I modify this dish to accommodate my 2.5 year old kid and for those of you who don’t like their food spicy. But don’t sweat, if you it spicy, you can add sambal into it. ;)

Prepping time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 - 35 minutes


Ingredients: 
1/3 big onions 
4 to 5 garlic 
A stalk of lemongrass (use the bottom only, about 3 inches from the root)
1/2 inch ginger (only if you decide to add chicken, beef or pork)
1 tsp tumeric
A can of coconut milk + a can of water
A can of young jack fruit (cut the jack fruit into half or third)
Vegetables (I use cabbage and few bamboo shoots) - you can also add in carrots
If you decided to add protein, you can add chicken enough to feed 3-4 people, or tofu

1. Blend onions, garlic, lemongrass and ginger (only if you are adding chicken, beef or pork) together. Stir fry the paste. I ran out of lemongrass, so there is no lemon grass in my cooking and it is still tasty. Now, if as you can see, I was too lazy to get my food processor out. Instead, I sliced the onions and garlic thinly. Fry it until you can smell the aroma. If you want your dish to be spicy, you can add two tablespoon of sambal or 3 or 4 bird's eye chili (Thai chili). 


2. Next, add a teaspoon of tumeric. Stir about a minute. If you decide to add chicken, beef or pork, add them now. Cook until your protein is 3/4 cooked. 


3. Then, add a can of coconut milk and a can of water to dilute. 


4. Add a can of jack fruit. Drain it before you add it to your stew. Again, I got lazy as well so I added them in big chunks but if you are sharing with many people, I suggest you cut the jack fruit to half or third of its size. 


5. Next, add your veggies. You can also add your tofu now. Stir well. Lower the heat to medium. 


6. Cover and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Stir it 2-3 times to prevent the coconut milk from breaking apart. (breaking part means it'll cook and turn oily)


7. Serve warm on a bread of white or brown rice. This is a kid friendly dish so I added sambal as a condiment on the side instead of adding into the stew. 


8. Adrian says enjoy! 



2 comments: