Monday, November 19, 2012

Chicken Monterey?

One of my favourite Mexican restaurants has this dish called Chicken Monterey, so one day I decided to try and make it. So I have no idea how close this actually is, but it tastes good.

I normally start cooking the rice first because it takes a little longer. The actual prep time of the dish is about 25-30 minutes. First chop about half an onion, a green bell pepper (you could probably use any colour pepper, or add extras), a tomato, and some cilantro.

At this point I start melting some butter and add spices to the melting butter. (About 3-4 cloves fresh, crushed garlic, some dehydrated onion, paprika, ginger, cumin, parsley, oregano, celery salt, freshly ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes - you can also use a taco seasoning mix if you would like). Add about 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

Start sautéing sliced mushrooms (I like to use portobello mushrooms, but any are fine) and the onions in the butter-spice mixture. I like to make sure the onions are soft and slightly translucent and the mushrooms slightly browned before adding the next ingredients.
Add about a chicken breast to the mixture and let it cook through. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the amounts to whatever serving size you want.
Once the chicken is cooked through, add the bell peppers and the tomato, and let them get a little cooked. I like to keep them slightly on the crunchy side, but you can cook them longer if you want.
Then add the sour cream and cilantro and stir it in.
 This is more or less what it will look like.
Serve it over rice (this is a new rice blend of wild rice, brown rice, black Japonica rice, and some others I can't remember - I just it tried out - it's delicious!) - any rice is fine. Normally at the Mexican restaurant they also serve this dish with refried beans and tortillas.


Enjoy!


2 comments: