Monday, November 19, 2012

Vegan Ginger Cupcakes


After a few recipes for those meat lovers, I decided to come with one for those sweet lovers and those non meat eaters.
Last year I was looking around for something delicious to make for a friend, who has almost everything he might need. Two years ago I made him a beautiful mix-media collage. We have a regular cake that year, it was before we discovered that milk was behind all his skin problems. Last year I decided to make him a cupcake extravaganza. There were just 3 or 4 kinds of vegan cupcakes.  One of those I made back them, and that had really good critics from all the guest, was this Ginger Cupcake recipe:

Ingredients for the Cupcakes

2 cups Soy Milk
1 tea spoon of apple cider vinegar
2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground cloves
½ cup of oil
½ cup of maple syrup

Ingredients for the Frosting

½ cup or 1 stick of vegetable margarine. (I used a soy base margarine)
3 cups of confection sugar
2 teaspoons of lemon extract or to taste
1 teaspoon or more of Soy milk to work on consistency

Directions

Preheat oven at 350 F
Add vinegar to milk, and set a side to curdle.
In a large mixing bowl sift all the dry ingredients.
Add oil and syrup to the milk and mix well.
Slowly add liquid mix to the dry ingredients and keep mixing and adding until it is completely mixed and homogeneous.
Pour mix into cupcake liners. Fill just ¾ of the liner.
Bake for 20, or until done. You can check by inserting tooth pick on cupcakes, if it comes clean, cupcakes are ready.

For the frosting, mix the margarine, at room temperature, with ½ cup of sugar until it becomes a cream keep adding sugar and working the cream. Add the lemon extract and keep mixing the cream. Add a teaspoon of soy milk to the mixing bowl and work the cream until it get the thickness desire. You might have to add more soy milk until that point is reach.
Finally, put icing on top of cooled cupcakes and enjoy.

My apologies, since this post lacks of any illustration, I''ll try to get nice step by step pics for my next one. In any case, I hope you like it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try these for la fĂȘte that my French class is having. I know le professeur and his wife are trying to eat Vegan. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete